August 29, 2010
slumber party is kind of a misnomer
Friday night, I went to a slumber party with the girls from my small group.
Maybe I should say “women” instead of “girls” since I was informed by a 17 year-old that she didn’t think old people had slumber parties.
Call us what you want – and we’ve been called many things – we had a slumber party.
It was a lot of fun, but there are a few differences between teenager slumber parties and old-lady slumber parties.
- Old ladies have sophisticated snacks. This time: fondue.
- Old ladies opt to turn in when they are tired.
- When old ladies are tired, they sleep in beds instead of on the floor.
- Old ladies don’t talk about s.ex at slumber parties. They talk about junk mail, babies and car payments.
- Old ladies definitely don’t reveal their secret crushes to their girlfriends at slumber parties. The whole husband thing kind of ruins the fun of teen-aged crushes.
- When old ladies have a slumber party, someone may bring a bre.ast pump. AND they just might use it twice.
- Old ladies get up early even after a slumber party because they just might have to go home and get ready to go to a meeting about their local Mom’s Group or help with the tryouts for the kid’s Christmas show.
- And, the difference that is the WORST: old ladies stomachs start to reject the junk food – sophisticated as it may be – at a certain point.
Merry slumber to you – I think I need to go catch some right now.